Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Serving where I'm not gifted...

Long time, no post! I try to save all my writing for school these days, I sure have enough of it to do there... Anyways, I've gotten out of the groove of blogging but am going to try to start it up again!

It's winter break, and for the week after Christmas I'm going on a mission trip to Múzquiz, México. Somehow I ended up being in charge of the dramas/skits and singing on the worship team. I have only ever acted in one, very minor, play. I also am not a very good singer. Yet, there were holes and I reluctantly agreed to fill them.

I have to admit that I had a bad attitude about it up until a few days ago. I put off planning the dramas until the night before our team meeting, and only did it then because of a last-minute panic. I complained about it to my family and friends, telling them how I had no idea what I was doing and didn't want to put in the effort to figure it out.

Finally, our last trip meeting came and I met the drama team and the worship team. A side conversation with the person leading the worship team revealed that she didn't think she knew what she was doing either, but she had a completely different attitude about it. She had the heart of a willing servant - giving everything she had to the work she had been assigned for the glory of God. She might have been apprehensive about how to proceed, but her dedication showed. Instead of complaining she came with a plan for how to encourage the whole team with a well-planned worship set at the start of each day in México.

I was encouraged immediately by witnessing this and now I hope to do my job the best I can. Sure, I still have no idea what I'm doing, but whatever happens will find me with joy that I get to contribute to the various ways in which we share the hope of Christ with these people. And as far as singing goes: I may not have a beautiful voice, but I realized that I have something to contribute to our worship with the Mexican people - I speak Spanish. So I pray that I'll be able to get across the beautiful messages in the songs I chose and that these people will be filled with hope rather than despair about their circumstances.

I learned this past weekend that regardless of whether we feel equipped or called, sometimes there is just work to be done and God might be challenging us to step outside our comfort zone in our service to Him. I regret the sour attitude I had in accepting this challenge and hope that He will help me to see opportunities like this as chances to thank Him for what He has done for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment